Image of this organisation’s website
Youth for Christ is a non-profit, non-denominational, Christian youth development ministry directly addressing problems and needs of the young people of South Africa. We are in 6 provinces nationally and 183 countries world wide.
Our work is based on Biblically based values education, addressing the decay of the moral fibre and family break down in our communities. We present young people with the opportunity to accept Jesus Christ and train them to make informed choices regarding their life styles, future choices and develop their own values.
Youth for Christ Mpumalanga was founded in 1995 and we have been consistently impacting youth and communities around the Lowveld, Middelburg, Waterval-Boven, Machadodorp, Bushbuckridge and as far as Siyabuswa for over fifteen years. We have dedicated and passionate staff, endeavouring not only to live our vision and mission, but to do so with integrity and excellence.
Current Project Models and Activities
1. YFC School HIV / AIDS program is an initiative which aims to reduce the incidence of HIV / AIDS through increased abstinence of youth aged 10 to 19 years. This program has shaped the attitudes and behaviours of 500 000 young people in over 650 schools to date. This is achieved through an empowering program resulting in skills and knowledge that promote self sufficiency and confidence so youth can make protective and healthy sexual choices.
2. LITSITEMBA OPTIONS CARE CENTRE – YFC Mpumalanga operates a counselling centre for men and women needing crisis counselling in areas such as unplanned pregnancy, marriage, VCT, rape and trauma. In addition, the centre provides resources, school support groups for teen mothers, and a job creation project for its clients.
3. PEER EDUCATION – YFC Mpumalanga initiated its Peer Education programme in 2003, and has impacted 23 schools to date. By January 2008, YFC Mpumalanga will be implementing peer education in 50 schools with PEPFAR funding.
Peer education in schools typically involves training and supporting members of a given group to affect change amongst their peers and school communities. Peer educators are often described as “information providers, referral agents and counsellors” and as being “effective in promoting skills, creating a positive social norm and providing healthy lifestyle alternatives”. Comprehensive programs such as “GOLD” incorporate key role players from all levels of a community to bring about a positive school environment. YFC has also conducted peer education programs with six out of school youth groups in the past two years. YFC’s experience in implementing this model means that we have the expertise and knowledge needed to implement the Child Friendly Schools program in Limpopo.
4. HIV/AIDS AND LIFESKILL EDUCATION – YFC has deployed many young adults in schools and communities as Life skills educators, who empower the youth to make informed decisions about life and sexuality. YFC Mpumalanga has run HIV awareness and prevention programs in over 120 historically disadvantaged schools, reaching approximately 110 000 learners through life skills education, community wide events and support groups. CAPACITY BUILDING – Capacity of leaders, CBO’s, community members and families are developed through management and technological training, which enable communities to have resourceful people who direct their issues.
5. YOUTH DEVELOPMENT TRAINING – YFC Mpumalanga is a training provider for various Government Departments and regularly conducts life skills workshops for orphans, out of school youth and child headed households. In addition, YFC has also trained LRC groups for Education Department.
6. VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME. We have an international volunteer programme and will expand that to include gap year students. They have the possibility to get training and real life experience of working and ministering to young people in a supervised and culturally diverse environment.
Approach and Philosophy: Balanced life concept. Through professional and volunteer staff, YFC strive towards creating physical fitness, social competence, mental stability and spiritual maturity in young lives.
Our Vision: As part of the body of Christ, our vision is to see every young person in every people group in every nation have the opportunity to make an informed decision to be a follower of Jesus Christ and become a part of a local church.
Our Mission: YFC reaches young people everywhere, working together with the local church and other likeminded partners to raise up lifelong followers of Jesus who lead by their:
– godliness in lifestyle
– devotion to the Word of God and prayer,
– passion for sharing the love of Christ and
– commitment to social involvement.
Core Values: Team, Excellence, People, Integrity, Christian
Projects: Models and interventions are shaped to be relevant to the context in which young people live. This is done in the spirit of the YFC International motto “geared to the times and anchored to the Rock”.
Operates in: Nelspruit, Mpumalanga
Established in: October 1995
Non-Profit Organisation Number: 004-257
Public Benefit Organisation Number:
Section 21 Company Number:
Contact person: Ronas Marule
Fax: 086 660 6445
Physical address: 2nd Floor, Simunye Building, 46 Anderson Street, Nelspruit
Postal address: P O Box 19700, Nelspruit, 1200
Send an online message to Youth for Christ Mpumalanga[contact-form-7 id=’4881′ title=’Contact form 6′]
Please help promote Youth for Christ Mpumalanga[contact-form-7 id=’6223′ title=’Contact form 8′]