Image of this organisation’s website
South African Medical Expeditions was established to provide HOPE to woman and children in rural communities. We believe in providing sustainable long term support through linking with both local services providers and other organisations.
SAME provides two vital services to the communities in which we work – HOME BASED CARE and MEDICAL SUPPORT. These services overlap in such a way that no child, orphan or vulnerable, is left to fall between the cracks – therefore creating a safety net within their own community.
MEDICAL SUPPORT – School clinics are held at Primary Schools for children grades R to 7 and creche children aged 0 to 5 years. We currently serve 5 various educational establishments providing weekly medical care to over 1000 children. At these clinics, medical consultation and treatment is provided free of charge with only the best care and medications provided. All schools where SAME works are included into our daily vitamin program where schools are provided with a supply of multivitamins to hand out daily at the schools feeding scheme. Parasite treatment programs are run at each school every six months. Through our clinics we are able to detect and then test children for TB and HIV and once confirmation of their status, they are then included into our unique support structure. As we are dealing primarily with orphans in a crisis area, it is of the utmost importance to prevent default. This is achieved through a weekly roll-out program with daily home visitations by a trained Health Care Worker.
The essence of home based care is caring for the child within their own home and environment. SAME provides this support alongside existing community support structures and seeks to strengthen and improve these as opposed to replacing them. This is achieved in the following ways:
– Daily home visitations through trained Home Based Care workers;
– Psychosocial support through counselling and including the child in the SAME family. With a consistent presence of the SAME team and services, these children soon realize that they are loved and cared for;
– Meal centres provide a hot daily meal and these are solely volunteer run. A single family member from each home will volunteer to assist in preparing and serving these meals. Monthly food parcels for those unable to provide for themselves;
– Various donations including clothing are handed out by visiting US volunteer team members;
– Community vegetable gardens;
– Babies and toddlers aged 0-5years are placed in daycare centres where they are taught and cared for.
Operates in: Acornhoek, Mpumalanga
Established in: January 2004
Non-Profit Organisation Number:
Public Benefit Organisation Number:
Section 21 Company Number: 2007/003406/08
Contact person: Shirley-Anne Beretta
Phone: 072 125 3876
Fax: 015 793 2741
Physical address: Ridgeway Farms Ptn 158, Guernsey, Hoedspruit
Postal address: P O Box 715, Hoedspruit, 1380
Send an online message to South African Medical Expeditions[contact-form-7 id=’4881′ title=’Contact form 6′]
Please help promote South African Medical Expeditions[contact-form-7 id=’6223′ title=’Contact form 8′]