Image of this organisation's website
The Pebbles Project’s purpose is to enrich the lives of children from disadvantaged backgrounds with special educational needs, especially those whose lives are affected by alcohol, through providing support and training to local wine farm and township creches and establishing after-school provision for older children living in the Winelands.
The Pebbles Project was established in 2004 to offer support to children with special educational needs, particularly those whose lives are affected by alcohol in some way, in the Western Cape of South Africa.
The Pebbles Project believes that if a child (particularly one with special needs of any kind) is supported and given the necessary education at an early age, they are far more likely to go on to achieve more at school, and become well-adjusted, educated and achieving adults.
Pebbles works closely with wine farm owners, who support our work and assist us with the upliftment of their farm worker communities and the education of the workers' children. We are currently working with Eikendal, Delheim, Remhoogte, Villiera, Bellevue, Hartenberg, Kaapzicht, L’Avenir, Fairview, Neil Joubert, Fairview, Groenfontein, De Rust, Soetmelksvlei, Overgaauw and Koopmanskloof wine farms. Pebbles also supports township creches in Lwandle (Somerset West) and Kayamandi (Stellenbosch).
Pebbles offers the creches and after-school clubs the following services:
- Renovations of buildings for creches and after-school clubs;
- Provision of buildings for creches and after-school clubs if needed;
- Training for all creche and after-school club staff members - on Early Childhood Development, Setting up and Managing a creche, Creche Activities, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, School Readiness, etc, plus training for after-school club staff on managing and delivering after-school club activities;
- Educational resources and equipment - toys, games, outdoor play equipment, furniture;
- Provision of libraries at each facility;
- Activities at after-school clubs - homework programme and supervision, art classes, life skills programme, sewing clubs, drumming and music workshops, health and beauty workshops, jewellery making classes, paper making classes, dance and drama workshops, environmental and recycling projects;
- Creche support teachers - to work alongside the creche staff, and to give individual attention to any children with special needs;
- After-school club support teacher - to oversee the homework and life skills programmes in the after-school clubs and to work with any children in the after-school clubs with learning difficulties
- Parent Workshops - on a range of topics including Money Management, Positive Parenting, Sexual Health, Substance Abuse, Health and Hygiene, HIV / AIDS and TB.
- Monthly educational trips for all children to places such as Table Mountain, the Aquarium, Monkey Town, Butterfly World, Helderberg Nature Reserve, Giraffe House.
- Mobile Toy Library for all creche children aged 3 to 6.
Operates in: Stellenbosch, Western Cape
Established in: 2004
Non-Profit Organisation Number: 049-950
Public Benefit Organisation Number: 930017224
Section 21 Company Number:
Trust Number: IT 4088/2004
Contact person: Sophia Warner
Phone: 072 472 2797
Fax: 021 865 2676
Physical address: Villiera Wine Farm, Koelenhof, Stellenbosch
Postal address: P O Box 256, Somerset Mall, Somerset West, 7137
Send an online message to Pebbles Project Trust
Please help promote Pebbles Project Trust